Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Great Physician's RX

I purchased a copy of the above listed book when it first came out and the Jordan Rubin story was being promoted along with the resulting "Garden Of Life" supplements and other health products.

The book can be purchased at www.thelivingspring.com or at 1-866-985-4779.

There seems to be a resurgence of emphasis on promoting different lifestyles and special diets as the one true route to health and happiness and each one claiming to be the best diet out there.

To start with the book mentions a study performed by the Archives of Internal Medicine, that the ranks of the extremely obese grew from 1 in 2000 back in 1986 to 1 in 400 by the year 2000. Kind of shocking when you think of it. I was born in 1947 and grew up eating a diet consisting of raw cows milk, veggies from our own garden, fruits from our own farm, and meat from which we knew the source and water from our own well.

Despite numerous pharmaceutical drug ads at every station break on TV and what seems to be the latest, greatest new arrival type 2 diabetes drug every day, type 2 Diabetes is running rampant as opposed to getting better.

Personally I do not believe prescription drugs to be the answer and I do not buy into radical diets which exclude any and all foods not under the diet label.

EXAMPLES:

LACTO vegetarians do not eat ANY animal flesh, but they do eat dairy products
OVO vegetarians do not eat flesh or milk products but do allow eggs.
LACTO-OVO vegetarians do not eat RED meat, but allow fish, eggs and dairy products. Some semi-vegetarians claim they can eat chicken as well, but not sure how you can call it vegetarianism when you allow poultry.
VEGANS do not eat any animal products at all, choosing to rely on plant based food for their nutrition.  SOME Vegans are so extreme that some won't eat anything that comes from a creature such as honey from bees.

Jordon Rubin's research and information in his book does not support a vegetarian or vegan diet for long term health. He lists Stephen Byrnes, Ph.D., author of "The Myths of Vegetarianism" as one of his sources.

One study mentions that while vegetarians have lower rates of heart disease their death rates from all causes of death were higher than meat eaters.

Some vegetarians say that they cannot tolerate meat because it isn't what it used to be and is often loaded with chemicals and hormones. Jordan Rubin indicates that many store bought vegetables are also pretty toxic. One can overcome this to a certain extent by by buying organic fruits and veggies in season and carefully washing all fruits and veggies before eating them.

Another (POSSIBLE fault ?) with most strict veggie, or vegan diets is the body does not receive enough protein and obtaining (the essential 8 amino acids which must come from sources outside the human body.) There are apparently 22 amino acids and 8 of them are found in chicken, beef, lamb, dairy, cheese, eggs etc. The jury is still out on this topic and I have read hundreds of comments both pro and con on different websites.

Strict vegans and vegetarians also lack protein provided by nuts, seeds, legumes, cereal grains etc. Lack of essential fatty acids are another problem in very strict diets.

I WORK HARD AT:

STAYING AWAY FROM OVER PROCESSED FOODS AND ESPECIALLY HYDROGENATED AND PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS IN YOUR DIET.

(Instead I use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and organic cold pressed coconut oil and I do eat natural peanut butter off a tablespoon without hydrogenated oils present)


  • I AVOID WHEAT PRODUCTS AFTER RESEARCHING THE "WHEAT BELLY DIET"
  • I STAY AWAY FROM CARBONATED COLAS WHETHER DIET OR NOT
  • I AVOID THE CRUNCHIE MUNCHIE ISLE OF THE GROCERY STORE AND NO LONGER EAT BREAD, BISCUITS, PANCAKES, SYRUP, cakes, cookies, dough nuts, candy, cracker jacks, empty calorie foods  ETC.
  • I DO EAT A VARIETY OF NUTS EVERY WEEK INCLUDING PISTACHIOS, WALNUTS, PEANUTS, ALMONDS, BRAZIL NUTS, CASHEWS ETC.
  • I STILL ALLOW COTTAGE CHEESE (A COUPLE OF TIMES A WEEK)
  • I SWITCHED TO ALMOND MILK
  • I EAT OATMEAL EVERY MORNING WITH ORGANIC GROUND FLAX SEEDS AND FIBER ONE CEREAL SPRINKLED ON IT ALONG WITH A HANDFUL OF GRAPES AND BLUEBERRIES. I TOP IF OFF WITH A PACKET OF STEVIA IN THE RAW TO TASTE and a dash of almond milk.
  • I DRINK A LOT OF WATER
  • I EXERCISE A LOT
  • I STILL EAT MEAT AND FISH AND CHICKEN IN MODERATION .......NOT NEARLY AS MUCH AS I USED TO.
  • (I AM DOING MORE RESEARCH ON WHEY PROTEIN WHICH SEEMS TO BE VERY CONTROVERSIAL RIGHT NOW DEPENDING ON WHOSE ARTICLE AND WHAT RESEARCH YOU ARE READING. I BELIEVE THAT TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN BE DETRIMENTAL TO ONE'S HEALTH.
  • FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND AT THIS POINT THE BASIC ARGUMENT IS THAT WE GET TOO MUCH PROTEIN OR NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN BOTH OF WHICH CAN BE A PROBLEM. A SAFE ALTERNATIVE FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IS "PEA PROTEIN" TO REPLACE WHEY PROTEIN ESPECIALLY IF IT CONTAINS CASEIN.
  • PRICING SEEMS TO BE IN LINE WITH THE NUMEROUS WHEY PROTEIN FORMULA'S. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FIND IT IN YOUR LOCAL SUPER MARKET OR WALMART ETC. IF NOT, NO PROBLEMO AS IT CAN BE ORDERED ON LINE)
FOR TYPE 2 DIABETICS, MY FEELING IS TOO MANY OF US SIMPLY EAT TOO MUCH JUNK FOOD, EMPTY CALORIE FOODS WITH LITTLE OR NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE AND LOADED WITH ADDITIVES, DYES ETC. IF WE SIMPLY GAVE UP ALL THE JUNK FOODS INSTEAD ARGUING OVER THE BEST DIET, WE WOULD LIVE LONGER, HAVE MUCH LOWER A1C READINGS AND WITH A DOCTOR'S HELP BE ABLE TO WEAN OURSELVES OFF MANY OF THE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HIGH GLUCOSE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS WE ARE ON. IN ADDITION WORKING OUR WAY UP TO WALKING 2 MILES EVERY SINGLE DAY WOULD DO WONDERS. THOSE WHO MAKE THEIR LIVING ON THE ROAD AND ARE ACCUSTOMED TO EATING AT FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS WITH LUNCH BEING A BURGER KING WHOPPER OR A MCDONALD'S BIG MAC AND FRIES WITH A COUPLE OF APPLE PIES ALL WASHED DOWN WITH A 16 OZ PEPSI OR COKE ARE SLOWLY KILLING THEMSELVES. I ATE NUMEROUS MEALS IN A HURRY ON THE ROAD OVER THE YEARS THAT I LEFT THE HOUSE AT 7:AM AND SOMETIMES GOT HOME BETWEEN 8:PM AND 10:PM BECAUSE OF APPTS.
TODAY, I RARELY EAT OUT AND AVOID FAST FOOD CHAINS LIKE THE PLAGUE.


IN CLOSING:

I live my life. I take a lot of supplements, check my blood sugar often and my blood pressure and my weight every single morning. If my weight varies by 2 lbs, I adjust my exercise and diet the next day.

I pray every day for guidance, I trust the Lord and enjoy life.

Dan

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it"

Isaiah 41:10

 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment